Saturday, October 13, 2012

Week 2. Reflections

“Objectives are not fate; they are direction. They are not commands; they are commitments. They do not determine the future; they are means to mobilize the resources and energies of the business for the making of the future.”
 Peter F. Drucker


The second week is almost over. I have one night and one day to post my reflections.

This week I found out about new effective search engines, such as I Seek Education, Social Issues, Twurdy, Noodle, Jurn, Academicinfo, Intute, and many others, thanks to our instructor, Courtney, and to my colleagues. So I came to the conclusion that Google, Yahoo, and Yandex are not the only one in the universe, not a bad discovery! I have shared this news with my students. I didn’t expect to surprise them, but I did!

The second thing I studied was the ABCD – method, from now on I will use it to write the objectives. I was delighted to find out that Bloom’s Taxonomy was revised in 2001, and now it is digital. Analyzing our course from Bloom’s Taxonomy perspective I see that our individual work implies “Googling”, which will be a science in future according to the article  "The Future of Search", I liked it, a very optimistic article. I hope that we will be doing Advanced and Boolean Searching, the understanding at the higher level. Starting with our second week I can put tags/links. This is an important achievement for me, because I always thought tagging can be done only by professional programmers, thanks God I was mistaken. Besides we continue blogging our reflections weekly!

We also got ready to start our final project by describing our class. Many participants of our course described the general educational system of their country. It was a good idea. I decided to present my students the way I felt it was better. I hope my colleagues liked it.

Finally I’d like to share with you something I use with my students. I love discussing local, national, and international news at the beginning of our lessons. The website I always advise first of all is simpleenglishnews.com I ask them to get ready at home and retell a piece of news from this site in the class. They can listen to the record of news in English as many times as they need, new words are explained below the text. Thus they listen to a native speaker, enrich their vocabulary with new words and present the news in the class. After listening to each other’s news they have to say what they found out from their group mates. So they repeat the most interesting news. This exercise improves students’ listening and speaking skills. By the way, I found out that there is such a newspaper in the USA.

The second week was very productive. Looking forward to starting the third!

Ina 

5 comments:

  1. Hi, Ina.
    I like that you start each class by sharing world news. I think that most students of this age really do not care about world events. As they learn English, it is up to them to become global citizens and to learn more about the world they live in. I am doing a presentation next week on globalization and being an international citizen and I am including information such as you suggested, to stay up to date on current events.

    I enjoy reading your blogs and your Nicenet postings. This class has a lot of work and assignments, but it seems we are trying our best to learn from each other!

    Good luck, Ina!

    Evelyn

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Evelyn,

    Our global community consists of 7 billion people. I think it is something normal to be interested in the world events, that is why I try to explain the importance of reading the news and of being in touch with the whole world. We share the same environment, the same air, and the same planet. We are one humanity.

    Ina

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree with you when you say that "we share the same environment, the same air, and the same planet. We are one humanity." i have gone through simpleenglishnews.com and have it quite enriching (form myself as well as for my students. I am already having ideas of inserting this part in my future lessons of 2013. Thanks for the sharing Ina.

    Regards, Deep

    ReplyDelete
  4. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Deep,

      I am glad that you liked it. http://www.simpleenglishnews.com/ has a good structure with different categories, such as business, entertainment, travel, grammar, quizzes, etc. So teachers who have different disciplines can easily find necessary directions. Besides, there is such a category as Simple English news-video.

      Best wishes,
      Ina

      Delete