Friday, December 7, 2012

Week10. Reflections

Can you avoid knowledge? You cannot! Can you avoid technology? You cannot! Things are going to go ahead in spite of ethics, in spite of your personal beliefs, in spite of everything.

JOSE M.R. DELGADO
Scientific American, October 2005

Knowledge and technology are two inseparable things that have always gone together since the invention of the light bulb. In spite of the fact that the ongoing collaboration between these two whales has been successful so far, the article CALL and the Future of Language Teacher Education isn’t as optimistic as I thought it will be, as “According to existing research, technology integration is unsatisfactory in teacher education.” It depends on us, teachers, whether we shall be the steering wheel in the present and future system of education or the brakes (J.A.Gardner). The course “Building Teaching Skills Through the Interactive Web” is aimed at fighting with inertia, ignorance, insufficient standards, lack of practice. It was one of the brightest learning experiences since I was a student.

In my final reflections I wanted to sum up the things I have never done before, but I decided that this course is a new beginning and I should be more positive and write about the technologies I have learned and I am going to use in my classes. To start with PowerPoint, I have opened new perspectives of it and I have learned about a great alternative to PowerPoint - Prezi. I can’t imagine my lessons without rubrics, a type of alternative assessment. The Wallwisher is another technology tool that has a huge potential if being used in the class or as independent work. I fell in love with Delicious, I can’t imagine myself one day without it, this is my personal library, where I stock some favorite and new links. I have never thought that I will love to have a Blog, that I will wake up at 2-3 a.m. to post on my blog, read my colleagues’ blogs and comment on Nicenet. I enjoyed reading the recommended article, as they were very informative. It is complicated to get across such valuable sources without someone’s help.

The final LoTi survey was a brilliant denouement of the entire course. To find out about LoTi I highly recommend the articles LoTi Framework and IMPLEMENTING THE SEVEN PRINCIPLES: Technology as Lever. My survey results are the following:

1. Digital-Age Work and Learning - 68%
2. Digital-Age Learning and Experiences and Assessment - 75%
3. Students Learning and Creativity - 82%
4. Professional Growth and Leadership - 42%
5. Digital Citizenship and Responsibility - 40%

After fulfilling the whole amount of work during the course we have a solid background. I understand that this course is just a beginning and our purpose is implementation of web skills in the classroom.

I would like to express my deep respect and gratitude to my instructor Courtney and to my dear colleagues, whom I appreciate very much! We shall keep in touch!

As for my blog E-learner2012 I don’t say good bye, I shall go on exploring!

Ina

7 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. Hi Ina

      Hope after this day, as per PST, you will not work for some days at night to finish up your job and tasks, will you?
      But I am sure you will have daydreams of the Worldware and World Wide Web. Keep yourself awake, arise and dream and aware of your consciousness, do let us informed and awakened whenever you are doing work in this streamline.

      With best of the wishes
      Jayshree Singh

      Delete
  2. Hi Jayshree Singh,

    I haven't worked at night for many years, I wake up only when my daughter is awaken.

    I will definitely have daydreams of the World Wide Web and of our project in general. I am happy I was the part of it. I found so many important thing!

    Best wishes,
    Ina

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Ina

    Your views are scholarly and thought provoking.All of us are fortunate to be a part of this technological revolution.Knowledge is always dynamic.Technology can only be used to impart that knowledge.

    Now the question is "who does not want to use latest technology?" The answer is obvious. Everyone wants to use technology but TECHNOLOGY comes at a price.

    This technological gap is a result of economic divide.Our job is to bridge up this gap to the best of our capacity.
    I am thankful to American embassy for providing us this scholarship.This is one way with which the whole world can come together and join hands for a good cause.

    Regards

    Raj

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Raj,

    The surveys mentioned in the article "CALL and the Future of Language Teacher Education" show that the graduates of MA studies in the US and Canada, don't use CALL at the full potential. It is needless to say that their economic capacity are much higher. The main issue is that the provided courses didn't have "relevant pedagogical elements".

    Ina

    ReplyDelete
  5. It sounds like you have learned a lot and I have to say congratulations on that. I do hope that you continue to post as you move forward.

    conjugaison

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Kurt,

      You are right, our online course Building Teaching Skills Through The Interactive Web was great. I have used many interesting activities with my students. I should continue my writing.

      Delete