Sunday, November 11, 2012

Week6. Reflections



“PowerPoint doesn’t kill meetings. People kill meetings. But using PowerPoint is like having a loaded AK-47 on the table.”

Peter Norvig, Google Director of Research


Power Point Presentation is a powerful tool! It can instruct, teach, inspire, amuse, but it can be  dangerously misused, and then it becomes boring! Can we find Power Point guilty? Definitely not! Why do we blame a tool in our mistakes? Besides, there is an awesome  alternative as Prezzi!

I have been using Power Point for almost a decade, but I have found out interesting things from the articles advised by our instructor Courtney. 

In the article Presenting With PowerPoint it is pointed out that presenters (teachers/students) should be looking at the audience 99% of the presentation, but how many of us do it! 

In the article Top Ten Slide Tips the author stresses the importance of creating simple PPts. The best slides may have no text at all. It is required to limit the number of transitions and animations. The photos and pictures should be of high quality. It good to have a visual theme and avoid using PP templates, thus every PP should be unique. There is no need to use complicated charts, use a table. It is necessary to take into consideration the light in the room, because the colors and fonts of our presentation depend on the light as well.  All these useful tips can be found in the article Top Ten Slide Tips.

I strongly recommend the article 
Teaching Naked: Why Removing Technology from your Classroom Will Improve Student Learning ,  as "The goal ... is to use technology to free yourself from the need to "cover" the content in the classroom". It goes without saying, technology will be the key component of education in future, but it is necessary to review the methods of using technology inside the class and to use technology more outside of the classroom activities. For example, I feel safe when I get emails with instructions and reminders from Courtney. I know that she will be there, on the other side of the computer to answer my questions and to give me advice when I have some difficulties. She has saved me many times! Another idea of using quizzes before the class sounds to me great. The advantage is obvious: not more unprepared students! Isn't it a dream of every teacher? This method is very good for me, because we have only one computer class, and very often it is busy. Whereas my students have internet access at home, so why not to do some assignments outside the class?! I think implementing technology outside of the class is a new step in education!

Finally several words about the implementation of the technology-related change this week.

1. I have published my WebQuest To Blog! I decided that it will be a good way for my students to find out about advantages of blogging. As an outcome of the research the students are to make a Power Point Presentation.

2. My students and I have created our class blog and we have already written introductions to present ourselves. Next week I will post the link of our class blogs. You will be able to visit them and may be share the links with your students, thus we can start an international collaboration by the means of blogging! The purpose of our class blogs is to have an international audience for our writings.

3. My next step is to make a presentation about plagiarism. You can see the video in my post Week5. Reflections. As usually Courtney filled in the gap between theory and real life by sharing this video. After that I will officially use the plagiarism checker smallseotools.com.

4. My next step is to use Prezzi. This tool is amazing. I am sure my students will like it! 

Looking forward to hearing from you!

Ina


10 comments:

  1. Dear Ina,

    The quotation you posted on top of this page is not only hilarious but highlights the sad truth about people who "abuse" ppt. to the maximum when they can think of making it more interactive or stripping their classes from technology only to save it for before and after class.I loved the article,"Teaching Naked :Why Removing Technology from your classes Will Improve Student Learning" just like you did ,I guess. I felt it was in a way evaluating technology and contrasting it with the inverted classroom concept that asks us to revisit our classes ,add value to student learning and focus on something that they will remember.

    It seems that what you are doing is similar to my initial step for my project;I also created a class blog and had them write for the first time about student elections that took place on our campus on Nov. 9. My initial feeling is that they are motivated and I am ,too!However, your suggestion of linking them to an international audience is great! This kind of collaboration will certainly engage our students hopefully as we are when we correspond with each other on this blog and on nicenet.

    Hope to hear from you soon.

    P.S. I love the background of your blog; the books on shelves make the blog look like one of these publications!

    Paula

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dear Paula,

      The quotation is hilarious! However I don't understand people who blame the tool in their own mistakes. I love PPt and will use it, because first of all it is necessary to have a high speed internet and good computers in order to use Prezzi, secondly I think that by improving our webskills we shall improve the use of PPt.

      However Prezzi is a fabulous alternative to PPt! I love it!

      Delete
    2. Paula,

      I love reading books that's why I chose as my new background "library", besides the colors are warm. I feel better with it. I think my first backgroud doesn't suit me any more.

      Thank you,
      Ina

      Delete
  2. Dear Ina,

    Thanks for sharing your Webquest. I love that you are asking for international classes to participate. It is the end of the semester here soon (November 30), so it is probably too late to get my students involved with your class, but perhaps next semester we can try something together. I think cooperation like this will be beneficial to both sets of students. It will allow them to practice English and to get to know another culture on the other side of the world. What a great concept.

    I like the work you have done for our final project. You have set up a class blog already. That is great if students get excited about writing their introductions and getting started. Next, you said you will make a presentation on plagiarism. Plagiarism is the topic for my final project. So, I hope that we can learn from each other about some good ways to prevent plagiarism. Finally, you said you will try a Prezi. I think that would be great. I created one this week. It took a lot more work than a standard PPT, but the effects are totally different. You just have to be careful that you have an active and fast interent service provider when you use Prezi. Sometimes, technology fails for me in China, so I am reluctant to use Prezi and will always need a backup in case the Internet connection is out.

    I am glad that you learned so much this week.

    Also, as Paula said, I love the bookshelves background you use it. It is very appropriate for this type of blog!

    Good luck, Ina!

    Evelyn

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ina,
    Can you tell me how to make a blog role with our classmates' recent postings on my own blog page, like you have done on the right side here?

    I want to add that to my blog, but I don't know how.

    Thanks!
    Evelyn

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dear Evelyn,

      I think that our webcourse should not end with the expiration of 10 weeks. We have a wonderful opportunity to continue our international collaboration. I am delighted that you would like to realize this idea too. I hope to get the support from the whole class.

      It would be helpful to learn from each other some helpful ways to prevent plagiarism. I think it is a great idea!

      Thank you for sharing your experince about Prezzi. I didn't manage to create a Prezzi, but I will. I consider Prezzi is a great alternative to PPt.

      I will send you an email with the blog role tips.

      Ina

      Delete
  4. Ina,

    Thanks so much for the step-by-step guide to making blog roles. I got your e-mail and have made my list already!

    I hope that you will keep this blog so that we can stay in touch even after the class finished. You will be my first and only friend in Moldova! Thanks to this class, we can have friends from all over the world!

    Good luck!
    Evelyn

    ReplyDelete
  5. Evelyn,

    Thank you! A friend in need is a friend indeed.

    I shall keep this blog, and we shall enlarge our circle by involving our students!

    Ina

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ina,

    You have posted an outstanding weekly reflection! The quote this week is perfect. Your weekly addition of quotes is one of my favorite parts of your blog.

    It sounds like the week 6 readings offered a lot of great insights for you. Additionally, you've introduced blogging to your class, and are encouraging it as an avenue for international communication. I'm sure you will soon master Prezi, as well!

    Great work!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Courtney,

    When I came across this quote by Peter Norvig, Google Director of Research, I thought it is really daring, but it reflected my opinion best of all, that's why I decided to use it anyway.

    My week reflection is a the expression of new things I have learned, of my concerns, of my plans. I wouldn't feel the way I do, and I wouldn't know the things I know without your contribution and guidance.

    Thank you,
    Ina

    ReplyDelete