Saturday, October 20, 2012

Week 3. Reflections



"... phonetics made rapid progress and even came to occupy the central place in the scientific study of language."

Roman Jakobson

The time flies away, but not in vain. I like our course “Building Teaching Skills through the Interactive Web” with every week more and more. The third week is almost over. It was very productive for me, because I learned about Delicious.com. The idea is simple but it is brilliant. I have already introduced some of my favorite websites and invite everyone to visit and use the resources I find inspiring https://delicious.com/innusea/.

The other assignment of the week was the discussion on topic Building Aural/oral Skills. I thought I know a lot about this topic, having 10 years of professional experience but the article by M.G.Busa New Perspectives in Teaching Pronunciation  made me change my view on teaching phonetics in general and have a look at this discipline from a technical perspective. I found the answer to the question if we can measure the correctness of our accent or not. The answer is yes, just use Spoken Dialogue Systems, and many other tools/programs and you will get the feedback. Isn’t it great?

Finally I read the report written by Aleyda Linares from the National Pedagogic University from Honduras. Although I saw that some of my colleagues chose Aleyda as well, I was curious to analyze her report because we have many things in common. I wanted to know what to expect from the project, how to work more productively, what I should pay attention to. After having it read I found some details that I had missed during the previous two weeks. It was of great help!

See you week 4!
Ina


7 comments:

  1. Hi, Ina.

    Thanks for sharing your reflections this week. I agree that the pronunciation article was fascinating. I don't have a lot of experience in teaching pronunciation, but this gave a lot of advice in doing so.

    Did your Delicious site go as you expected? I somehow thought that I could just upload all of my favorites into Delicious so easily, but it was more complicated than I had expected.

    I look forward to reading more about your experiences in week four. Good luck!

    Evelyn

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Evelyn,

    I have some experience in pronunciation, as I teach first-year students as well, but anyway, it is not enough, because phonetics has developed together with computer technologies. In order to be in a good shape it is necessary to be informed and use these technologies in the classroom.

    So far I didn't have any difficulties while using Delicious. I hope I won't have any in the good run as well. I wonder, how many sources can we place on it? One thing I know for sure, Delicious has made my life better!

    Ina

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi, Ina!

    I see that we share the same passion. I also teach English Phonetics an Phonology in my University in Venezuela. I agree with you! Busà's article on "New Perspectives in Teaching Pronunciation" is just great. Although I did not discuss it in the week assignment, I took a look at it. The importance of the Computer Assisted Language Learning (CALL) has been emphasized as an additional resource for pronunciation teaching. This article provides us with a teaching pronunciation journey on recent technological tools for teaching the suprasegmental aspects of the English language.

    It is a pleasure to share my favorite English subject with you!

    Warm regards!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Allegra,

    You are right Phonetics has a primary importance in English as a Second Learning Acquisition. We have to improve the techniques and thus the quality of speaking.
    I also like the website http://vocaroo.com/ that Courtney advised us in the discussion on http://www.nicenet.org/ICA/class/conf_topic_show.cfm?Topic_id=869486.

    Ina

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hey look at that, the Phonetics club!

    Thanks for the link Ina. With all our entries on Nicenet, one can easily miss/ overlook something really important.

    I agree with you about the article: New Perspectives in Teaching Pronunciation, I just wished here and there there would be more software that isn't so research based, but it's a good starting point.

    Till next week!

    Mireille

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Pintolena,

    I think it is very importanr for us to save all the links Courtney shares with us. They are very good! I place them on my http://delicious.com/innusea. I consider when we finish the course we'll need them to use and share with our colleagues and students, so we just open our Delicious accounts and find all the links in several moments! Did I say I love Delicious?!

    Ina

    ReplyDelete